3.25.2009

Serious weight gain issues.

Never in my life did I think gaining weight would be a problem. Especially while pregnant.

I have 5 days until my doctor's appointment, and again, my scale is reading the same. I don't get it! I'm supposed to have gained more than a pound by now. I just hit 21 weeks today, so I need to be getting an extra 500 calories a day instead of the 300. I have been eating three times more than I have ever eaten in my life, so I didn't think twice about not hitting my calorie range. According to babyfit.sparkpeople.com, I should be getting at LEAST 2100 calories. The range is 2080-2380.

There are some days where it's a REALLY good thing I drank 700 calories of orange juice! It's bad when I enter all my food for the day and it says I've had 1000 calories. That of course sends me into a panic! I know Cole got his, since he gets them first, but I can't live off 500 calories! That could explain my lack of weight gain.

It's such a double edged sword, the entire new 'food and drink for pregnancy' plan. I have to be very strict about my water intake since the b/h, so with drinking so much, I don't get hungry. Then, you are supposed to eat healthier (which is all I have the taste for lately) and think about the quality of these calories that you eat - but healthy food naturally has LESS calories in it! I literally eat all the time too - there are times I will stop eating becuase I am tired of eating. Literally, like my jaw hurts and all I can think of that I did that day is eat. :D I even make sure that every day, I eat cookies. It's girl scout cookie season, I have a 10 year old girl scout niece, and I am pregnant!! You would think that would be an easy combination for calorie perfection, but nope, not even girl scout cookies do it! I'm only averaging about 1600 calories a day - that is way under what we both need. Of course, when I do head to taco bell, then I have a 1600 calorie dinner and blow that right out of the water :D

I've only gained one pound so far - that of course makes me wonder, if I end up having GD, what the heck will I do then? The only way I am getting even CLOSE to my calories is orange juice, iced tea, and cookies! The other question is which to worry about more, quality or quantity? And if I am under one day and then over the next, does it just even itself out?

I feel like such a pregnancy failure.

5 comments:

Lesli said...

I'm right there with ya Megan! I only gained like 2 pounds so far and I'm eating constantly too. My doctor doesn't seem concerned though.

Susan F said...

I only gained about 5 pounds up to the 20-22 week appointment, if that. Here I am 38 weeks and up 30 pounds. It catches up eventually :)

WinsyWade said...

Hey Megan :)

I was just wonder what you mean by a correlation between GD and low weight gain. Have you read about that in a pg book? I had only gained 10lbs until about 30 weeks then I was put in the hospital for severe swelling and ended up coming out with a GD diagnosis. I am hoping you know something that I don't...

As for calories, I would say it's quality over quantity. Have you tried trail mix or trail mix granola bars? Nuts are high in good fats/calories. It's one of my favorite snacks!

WinsyWade (botb)

Megan said...

Oh, no, sorry Winsey! That's just my next test coming up, so it was just a thought, no actual correlation... just that I am using all the sugary junk to get close to my calories :D

Miranda said...

Megan! Don't beat yourself up about the weight gain. My sister only gained 11 pounds during her entire pregnancy eating ridiculously unhealthy food the whole time and her son ended up weighing almost 10 pounds at birth. My bff only gained about 17 pounds the whole time. I gained almost 50. As long as your doctor isn't worried about your weight, and as long as you know you're eating healthy and getting LOTS of protein, don't worry about it! Cole is gonna be a healthy boy and you're having a healthy pregnancy and I am so incredibly happy for you.